Thursday, June 3, 2010

A Thursday For Trailers

OK, since I didn't get to really do any kind of summer movie preview or anything, I thought I'd give this a try instead.

For today's post, I'm just going to put up some trailers I think are interesting, and add my own personal comments on them. I'm sort of hoping I can make this a weekly thing, maybe do this every Thursday, perhaps it would give me some motivation to update more often, but we'll see how it goes.

Edit: Sorry everybody, I had Youtube videos up before, but I had some trouble embedding them, so just click on the movie titles to watch the trailers. Better luck next time!

Let's see, our first trailer just came out over the weekend, and is getting a ton of internet buzz right now.

SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD

I've probably talked about this movie more than anything else on this blog so far, and while I can't definitely say whether the movie will be good or not, this newer trailer fills me with hope. We have Cera trying to break away from the George Michael Bluth role he's constantly typecast as, we have a lot of well done quick shots that Wright is well known for (and could be considered perfect for this adaptation, for anyone who's familiar with the books). Winstead and Wong look pretty cool, Whitman looks funny, and Evans looks like a real show stealer.
I kind of wish that the trailer was a bit clearer on what the movie is about, rather than just showing off joke after joke. It seems like the studio is definitely shooting for demographics that aren't immediately familiar with Scott Pilgrim, and that's fine, but let's try not to give it all away too soon. In any case, this looks promising enough, and I really hope this film will not only be good, but can find it's audience as well.
Our next one is for Inception, Chris Nolan's new film that I mentioned quite a while ago.


INCEPTION

This film has an incredibly cool concept behind it, and an all star cast that can help it along. In this film, Leo Dicaprio plays Dom Cobb, a thief that assists companies in performing corporate espionage by stealing secrets from people's dreams. With his sort-of sidekick, played by Ellen Page, he must perform one last job.

The scope of Nolan's vision of this concept looks amazing from this trailer alone, although I'm not exactly sure if the cities we see crumbling here are representative of the dreams Cobb invades or not. This is one of the first couple times I've seen this trailer, and it still looks kind of weird, but perhaps it's best for me to just roll with it. Page looks good, and it feels even better to see Michael Caine back with Nolan since they always tend to work well together. I do feel like this trailer takes a lot of notes from the trailers for Nolan's Batman movies, but that probably had more to do with the editing department and the studio than Nolan himself. Nonetheless, this also joins the handful of big budget movies that I'm actually looking forward to this summer.

The last trailer here is for a movie that I'm not as interested to see as the first two, but looks fun regardless.

PREDATORS

Jesus, I do not envy Adrien Brody and pals right now.

Yes, Brody, Alice Braga, Laurence Fishburne, Topher Grace, and several others (I swear this is the summer of the all-star cast) are a band of misfits that end up on a planet that serves as a hunting reserve for the predators, and they've got to outwit the creatures to survive. It seems like director Nimrod Antal and producer Robert Rodriguez have decided to completely ignore the continuity of the abysmal Aliens vs. Predator, and that's all right with me. Anyone who's a fan of the Predator franchise will probably end up enjoying this movie no matter what critics say about it, and I have to admit that even though the most I've seen of Predator was bits and pieces of the first movie, this does look like it will be a good popcorn flick.

On the other hand, Brody is definitely a far cry from Ahnold as far as leads go. If you asked me who would have been the lead for a movie like this, I probably wouldn't have suggested the dude who played Wladyslaw Szpilman from The Pianist. Also, while this isn't surprising at all, the trailer makes it look like the story might be interesting, but the plot might not be much more than "humans run from/try to fight the predators." Then again, what more could you expect from this kind of movie anyway?

Well, that's good for now. I'm gonna go see if I can come up with some more ideas for posts. Hopefully, I can catch Toy Story 3 before I go on vacation later this month. See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment