Monday, July 27, 2009

"He's my new daaaad"

Welp, time once again to dust off the old blog to share some movie news.

Things have been rather slow on this blog the last couple of months, and I apologize for that. Between the job search and all the other crap going on this summer, updates have been rather scarce. It doesn't help that 500 Days Of Summer and The Hurt Locker got limited releases either.

Not to worry, though. I have a couple of ideas on how to keep weekly content up on this blog, and I think advertising it a little more and getting a bigger audience would give me some more incentive to update. If only I could find some free time...

But anyway, enough about me. Today I wanna talk about Star Wars, or more specifically Episode I, The Phantom Menace, which I just learned turned ten years old a little while ago. Why do I even want to discuss this movie? Well, Claudine Zap of Yahoo's Buzz Log had a little video interview with Jake Lloyd, who played Anakin Skywalker as a little kid, just last week as some kind of retrospective. You can read about it and see the video here.

I find it funny how Zap mentions that people blame Lloyd for ruining Star Wars. It's probably been a good seven years since I've seen The Phantom Menace from start to finish, but when I think back to it, I can think of a number of things that were ten times worse than Anakin as a little kid.

The stupid aliens (especially mildly racist Jar Jar and Watto) stick out in my mind, as well as Natalie Portman acting horribly not just in this film but in all three prequels, and let's not forget George Lucas' extreme disdain for plot, continutiy, dignity, character development, or scenes that do not involve shitty wacky aliens partaking in cah-raaaazy antics and throwing up CGI bullshit all over the goddamn place.

Also, "Can I be a Jedi, mom? Yippee!!" might be an annoying line, especially with how it was delivered in the movie, but "He's holding me baaaack!" is even more brain-melting, and was delivered by, in my opinion, an even worse actor. If you ask me, Anakin was way more creepy and nauseating when he grew up.

Well, I'm done nerd-raging for now. Hopefully I can have some kind of review or something up next time, but for now, here's a pretty impressive tv spot for District 9, courtesy of Film School Rejects, to keep everyone occupied.

Oh, and one last thing. I don't give a shit what anyone says, the podracing was badass.

No comments:

Post a Comment