Friday, March 25, 2011

Trailer Friday: Sucker Punch



Trailer courtesy of Viso Trailers, Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures

You could say that me and Zach Snyder have a bit of a complicated relationship.

I thought that 300 was corny as hell, but I also found it really enjoyable for that same reason. I liked Watchmen, although I fully admit it wasn't one hundred percent perfect, and I have a feeling that everyone who saw that movie in the theater was expecting to get let down to some extent. I admire Snyder's passion for a script and story once he really gets working on it, even if the end result isn't quite as satisfactory as one would expect.

That being said, I don't think much of this Sucker Punch trailer. I liked the Silversun Pickups and Led Zeppelin songs they use, I like seeing Emily Browning in a samurai schoolgirl get-up, and I like seeing dragons and robots. But that's the only level on which I like it. I couldn't for the life of me accurately describe what the hell this movie is about from the trailer alone. I couldn't tell you why the girls, who I assume are the protagonists, had their families killed and were put in that asylum, I couldn't tell you how their escape plan is supposed to work...it looks like Inception got mashed together with a slew of unrelated comic book movies. It looks like Style Over Substance: The Movie, as if the very concept of excess itself got turned up to 11.

To put it simply, it looks like a mess. A fun mess, but a mess nonetheless. At least, that's the way this trailer makes it look.

I haven't read many reviews for it yet, but from what I hear it's getting slammed pretty hard. I guess if you like pure, brainless fun, this movie looks pretty good, but I don't know if I'm too interested in it personally. Seriously Zach, what the hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment