Saturday, March 19, 2011

Trailer...Saturday? I dunno, here's Captain America.

I have to admit, I'm starting to get really weary of superhero movies. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm starting to think they're all awful or something, but while the X-Men movie back in 2000, Spider Man back in 2002, Watchmen, the first Hellboy film and the Nolan directed Batman movies have all been just lovely, a string of releases from Marvel ranging from mediocre to just plain bad, combined with numerous lackluster parodies of the sub genre and a serious lack of output from DC have somewhat made me disenchanted not just with watching superhero movies, but following their production as well. There isn't a whole lot from either comic company catching my interest, and unfortunately due to the harsh nature of the industry right now adaptations of smaller, slightly more interesting comic properties seem less likely in the future.

That being said, there is one superhero related project that I am looking forward to, albeit only somewhat. You may remember seeing this TV spot during the Super Bowl:



Chris Evans looks like he may very well fit into the role, and the much more subdued costume and special effects look pretty good. Some of the lines in this teaser sound a little cliche, but I'm sure that's par for the course by now. Really, the only real reason I have any interest in this is because of Evans, and the fact that they are tying it into the Avengers film coming out later. The idea of a shared universe of films is pretty cool, but I hope Marvel is careful with how they present the story and plot elements because if they screw up even one little thing, that could cause the whole little house of cards they're trying to build to come toppling down.

TV spot courtesy of Marvel Comics and Paramount Pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment